Sunday 2 February 2014

Review ~ Bittersweet Magic (A Novel of the Order) ~ Nina Croft


Title: Bittersweet Magic

Author: Nina Croft

Published: 11th November 2013

By: Entangled

Source: netgalley

Note: This book is for readers aged 16 or over.






Synopsis: Roz has been indebted to the demon Asmodai for five hundred years, and her freedom is just around the corner. All she has to do is complete one last task for him—obtain a key that had been hidden in a church centuries ago.


Piers, the Head of the Order and an ancient vampire, is intrigued by the woman who comes to him for help. She’s beautiful and seemingly kind, but she’s hiding something. And he’ll find out who she is and what she really wants once he uses his power to get inside her head. But Piers has no idea that Roz is immune to his mind-control...or that he is simply a pawn in her dangerous mission for freedom.

I must admit I didn't know that this was the second book in a series when I received a copy from netgalley.  From what I've read since there were a few background pointers that might have added some insight into this read but this is a stand-alone book and so I have to say that not having read book one didn't hamper my enjoying this book, because enjoy it I did!

In this story we meet Roz, a 500yr old something (I say something because she doesn't have a clue what she is either). Roz in bound into a contract with Asmodai, a demon who responds to her prayers when the gods turn their back on her leaving her mother to be burnt alive.  In return Roz has to complete thirteen tasks.  We meet her as her last challenge is presented to her, that is to find a key and to return it to Asmodai. It's not long before we find out that Roz isn't the only one after the keys and the other searchers aren't playing nice. Why? Because the key is more powerful than Roz first thought and in the wrong hands it could mean the end of human civilisation as we know it. Enter Piers, Head of the Order and the vamp that Roz goes to for help.  What follows is a search that leads to long lost answer, sacrifice and a heap of lust thrown in for good measure.

I really enjoyed this book and I'm kind of gutted that it is a one-off.  I could quite happily throw myself at another book with these characters.  I love the way they develop through the story.  I mean, you've got witches, demons, vampires and nuns in one book - what's not to like! There's a lot of humour in here as well which is nice and the characters have enough depth that you feel you get to know them.  Whilst everything wraps up nicely, as in all the answers are there and the slate is wiped clean there is the potential for so much more and I want it! 

Now that I've devoured this book I will go back and read the first in the series, Bittersweet Blood. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

4/5.  Really enjoyed this read!  This one's a keeper!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

We are very thankful that you take the time to comment, we love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater