Sunday 26 January 2014

Review ~ Bitter Fruits ~ Sarah Daltry





Title: Bitter Fruits

Author: Sarah Daltry

Published: 1st December 2013

By: Harlequin Enterprises Australia

Source: netgalley.

Note: This book is for readers aged 16 or over.



Synopsis: For fans of dark urban fantasy comes a novel that questions why forbidden fruit is always the most tempting...

A vampire-themed masquerade party isn’t really her scene, but Nora is sick of frat parties and bars. When she meets Alec, the appeal suddenly becomes clear. It’s obvious that they’ve been struck by the same intense mutual attraction, but Alec keeps his distance. Intrigued despite herself, Nora pushes a little deeper — and discovers Alec’s unimaginable secret...

Nora is not afraid of following Alec into the darkness, but the choice is soon taken from her. Someone is hunting her — someone tied to the secret and desperate to see it play out. But when Nora finally meets her aggressor, she finds herself hopelessly drawn to him. She needs to make a choice between the two men, but can she save them both, knowing one is destined to die?

I love me a NA read and I have to say this book is no exception. It's starts off with a masquerade ball so what's not to like there and it's leads very nicely on to two relatively hot brothers.  Again nothing to complain about.  We also have vampires (my favourite!) to add to the mix so once more we're on to a winner. so far then it's all good!

I like the fact that the heart of this read is set back millennia ago, back to a point in time when one bad decision triggered a scenario that was doomed to repeated lifetime after lifetime. Until now.  Enter Nora.  Could she be the one that can put an end to the brothers' perpetual misery and if she does what happens after?  You'll have to read and find out. And I can't tell you about the point in time either as that would be majorly spoilery.  Sorry!

I did like both of the brothers in this book.  Their outward personalities are very different for very obvious reasons when you are reading the story but there are underlying aspects that are similar and highlight the bond between the two boys as much as they may try to hide it. I liked Nora as well.  She has a little kickass going on and she has a wicked tongue at the most inappropriate moments.  I like that.  I also liked their professor, Henry.  I love his enthusiasm although there are some aspects to his behaviour that make me question his career choice.  

One thing that did irritate was the speed with which Nora enters into a relationship with her vamp of choice. Talk about diving in! Also, I didn't get how Nora and her best friend Scarlet was so accepting of everything.  And I mean everything.  In a  sort of a "I'm a vampire!" "Oh, OK." "And I'm going to drink your blood." "Righto!" sort of a way.  Just a few more questions might at least have made both female characters look a little more intelligent.

There's a lot of the steamy action in this book as well with the inclusion of your traditional YA love triangle that almost everybody loves.  Except this is NA.  Just sayin'...

That said, these things didn't effect the way I felt about the book. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next.  Hopefully, it won't be too long!

3.5/5. This was a nice read. I say go grab yourselves a copy!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

We are very thankful that you take the time to comment, we love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater