Monday 30 September 2013

Review: One Seriously Messed-Up Weekend by Tom Clempson

One Seriously Messed-Up Weekend in the Otherwise Un-Messed-Up Life of Jack Samsonite (Jack Samsonite, #2)Title: One Seriously Messed-Up Weekend in the Otherwise Un-Messed-Up Life of Jack Samsonite
Author: Tom Clempson
Published: March 2013
Released by: Atom
Source: Gift from the author
Series: Jack Samsonite
Rating: 5 stars

First line: 'We need to do something cool,' I announced.

Last line: There are 3 possible 'last lines'
1) 'I really want to see...'
2) I will NEVER wear pale khaki combats again.
3) Cue music, roll credits, fade to black.
Depends what you class as the end of the book!


Jack Samsonite's Fool-Proof Plan for Being Amazing at Everything

(including getting a life, getting into Film School, and getting into a girl's knickers)

1. Film a mind blowing, awesome so bad it's good short film about zombies superheroes three idiot friends, which must also include great depth and meaning me kissing a girl on the mouth.

2.Write the world's best university application ever! Write quite a good university application. Just write an application that doesn't make me seem like a nob.

3.Don't get expelled trying to complete 1 & 2.

It can't possibly fail... right?


I just want to start by saying although Tom and I are now friends, kind of when he sends me cake, my five star rating for this book and glowing review is not because Tom paid me in cake, I'm actually still waiting for it, It's because I loved the book and I think Tom is a brilliant writer! OSMUW2 featured on my 10 Books That Made Me post because I read it at a time when my spirits needed lifting, I said:

First of all I LOVE TOM CLEMPSON! Don't tell him I said that though!!! Now Tom's very funny, sometimes crude, but funny book has made my list because when I was very ill at the start of the year I wasn't able to do anything including reading but when I could, I picked up Tom's book. He actually sent it to me after drawing pictures of poo & cake all over it! This story, along with Tom's art work almost made me pee myself several times and honestly, it was just what I needed! My illness became very serious at one stage and this book got me through it all! I'm rather sure Tom still doesn't understand how much this book means to me and no matter how good an author you tell him he is he still won't believe it. I'm so very glad Atom sent me his first book and we got chatting on twitter after me reading it. I'm happy I get to call him a friend and I thank him and his writing abilities for getting me through my rubbish illness!

And honestly it still stands! We join Jack two years after book 1 (write quicker Tom) when he is trying to get through his last year of collage, make an awesome short film, get into a top university and find a real girl to kiss. This all might sound easy to the most popular of teens but this Jack Samsonite we are dealing with and things are never easy! Try as he might to do or say the right thing Jack often comes across as stupid or uncaring, which just makes him all the more funny!

If you loved book 1, if you've not read it please do so, you are going to love book 2. Tom has basically took everything we love about his first personal diary book and tripled the humour, and crazy antics to give us an even funnier read and insight into the mind and workings of teenage boys. There were a few nights I couldn't sleep when I was ill and I would be reading this book and laugh so much I would have to put my face into the pillow!! The mushy pea incident in particular almost made me pee myself, I don't even mind admitting it! 

As soon as I finished reading it back in April I thought Jack Samsonite has the potential to be the Adrian Mole for a new generation. I know other bloggers and readers agree and I cannot recommend Tom's book enough! Please read them! You will not be disappointed!

Is it the perfect book for boys, yes! Is it the perfect books for boys who 'don't really read' heck yes! Is it the perfect book for girls, yes, more than you know! To be honest it's the perfect book for anyone who has a sense of humour, who doesn't mind the odd swear word or 200 and for anyone who needs a good laugh!

Tom I beg, please keep writing Jack's story because I feel it could go on forever, just like that Mole kid only better!

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

We are very thankful that you take the time to comment, we love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater