Wednesday 9 May 2012

Review~Silver and Stone by J.D. Thompson

Silver and Stone (Bloodlines, #1)
3 stars


Title: Silver and Stone
Author: J.D. Thompson
Published: August 2011
Review request

Goodreads says:
Welcome to high school high society hell, where last season’s slingbacks can warrant a lunch table demotion, the wrong date will knock you off the it-list and behind every pair of oversized Chanel sunglasses lies a secret people are dying to keep.

As if senior year at Weatherford Preparatory School wasn’t hard enough, sixteen year old Alexis Bardolph had to add school outcast to the curriculum.
A new found notoriety following a family scandal, her lacrosse star boy-friend dumping her for a former BFF and a string of perpetually bad hair days were among the many things going wrong in her already turbulent teenage life.

But when the haunting nightmares that have plagued her since childhood begin to take an eerily tangible form and several Holler Creek residents are reported missing, Alexis can’t help but wonder if there isn’t more to her hellish dreams than meets the eye.
The unexpected arrival of a mysterious and dangerously handsome new student ultimately leads Alexis to troubling truths that not even her wildest imagination could have conjured.


Review:~
I often find it hard to write a review when I give a 3 star rating but with Silver and Stone it's hard because the whole book is a build up to the final chapters when we find out what Alexis really is and what her life truly means. I don't want to give anything away!

Silver and Stone is a roller coaster ride of emotions! Thompson sure knows how to build a story and keep you guessing until the end, every time I turned the page I wanted to find out was happening to Alexis and why her life had gotten the way it had. Within a year Alexis had gone from 'it girl' to total outcast keeping only a handful of friends. It was the 'accidient' that changed everything and since that night strange things have been happening to Alexis.

I rather liked Alexis, she was a strong leading lady despite her past. Even though her sister has turned against her and her father spends all his time at the office Alexis still manages to get through each day. I rather like the reaction that her sister had towards her, I think it gave the story an added depth because after everything the family had been through I was expecting the sister to stand by her side.

I loved Alexis' friends, they were ready to fight for her honour and I think they could have been pretty kick ass if the occasion called for it. And then we have the new guy about town, Lucas, obviously he is mysterious and very handsome! Their relationship becomes very intense very quickly and it's not until the last third of the book we understand why.

As I said the book is a build up to the last few chapters where we really learn about Alexis and Lucas and the connection they share and have always shared. I've got to admit I had a few 'no way moments', which seems to be happening with a few books at the moment, and I loved it! Thompson kept me guessing and I liked that most of my guesses were wrong!

3/5 stars because I feel this series will only get better with time and I'm hoping Thompson will continue to surprise me!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

We are very thankful that you take the time to comment, we love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater