Monday 7 November 2011

Mini review ~ Poison Study ~ Maria V. Snyder


Poison Study (Study, #1)
5 stars!

Title: Poison Study
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Published: September 2007

As several of you now know I work in a Waterstone's bookshop and we are going through several changes at the moment and even though we have always written staff recommends we are writting them more than ever at the moment with 'feature spaces' and really getting to grips with our sections. Unfortanly I no longer run the children's section but I am likning the fantasy section I'm running and there are a lot of cross-over books.

As Christams is upon I have been writing more and more recommends and Poison Study is one of them and I was reminded of how much I love this book, well the series actually.

Yelena is about to be executed for murder but is offered a reprieve, she will have a room in the palace and get to eat meals fit for a King but a the risk of being assassinated by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. Saved from execution only to face death everyday, Yelena takes the risk and becomes the new food taster.

Not one to take a chance, Valek, the chief of security feeds Yelena a poison that will only be kept at bay by a daily antidote. As she tries to escape her new dilemma rebels plot to seize Ixia and she develops magical powers that she can't control.

I love Yelena!! She is one of the strongest heroine's I think I've ever encountered! Yes shes had a bad life but she doesn't sit moaning about it, she does something about it and if that means having to kill then so be it! This is the kind of female I want to read about in all books!! She holds her head high with no hesitation to the murder she has committed and even though part of her feels lost she still knows there is hope.

And as forValek, he holds a place in my heart! At first he doesn't seem that sepical but he sure develops as a character as Yelena's story unfolds. Valek is intelligent, a cunning spymaster and a deadly assassin. Even though his allegiance lies with the Commander it doesn't mean he always agress with his rules and he isn't afraid to stand for what he himself believes in.

Snyder is a genuis!! She creates a world that as a reader you want to live in and never leave even if it isn't all happy and peaceful. I am looking forward to reading the glass series which is a spin off from the poison series. I can't reccomend This series and author enough!!

 

6 comments:

Hannah @ Dragons and Whimsy said...

Ooooh I didn't know Glass was a spin off!! Now I REALLY need to read them! I loved Study <3

Mireille said...

Congratulations! You have been awarded the Liebster Blog award! To accept the award go to http://mireillechester.blogspot.com/ and you’ll find out what you need to do!

Michelle @ Much Loved Books said...

I love this series, I found them by accident and was hooked straight away :D, I then went onto Inside Out/Outside In and am looking forward to TOuch of Power

nix said...

Loved this series....fabulous! I loved Valek too :)

Raimy from Readaraptor Hatchling said...

I really wanna read this series, it sounds great! :)

Alyssa said...

I loved this book, too! I think that Valek's allegiance to the Commander and Yelena's ability to hold her head high, despite her past, made the book (and romance) so incredible. :)

- Alyssa of Redhead Heroines
Book Review of “Poison Study” by Maria V. Snyder

Post a Comment

We are very thankful that you take the time to comment, we love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater