Wednesday 27 April 2011

Happy Birthday to Me Review


Happy Birthday to Me (Birthday Trilogy, #1)
3.5 out of 5 stars


Title: Happy Birthday to Me
Author: Brian Rowe
Published: April 2011
Author request


Seventeen-year-old Cameron Martin has a huge problem: he’s aging a whole year of his life with each passing day!

High school is hard enough; imagine rapidly aging from seventeen to seventy in a matter of weeks, with no logical explanation, and with prom, graduation, and the state championship basketball game all on the horizon. That’s what happens to Cameron, a popular pretty boy who's never had to face a day looking anything but perfect.

All Cameron wants to do is go back to normal, but no one, not even the best doctors, can diagnose his condition. When he finds love with a mysterious young woman, however, he realizes his only hope for survival might be with the one person who started his condition in the first place...



A paranormal story with a difference!

Opening line: The nightmare was real

Closing line: The future

Favourite quote: "You've pulled some stunts in my day, but attempting to fornicate all over Homer and Charles Dickens? You've shamed me and my library for the last time..."

~Mrs. Gordon~


I was asked to review this book by the author and I must admit I wasn't looking forward to it at first, I really don't like the front cover but you should never judge a book by its cover! I the book in just a few hours before bed and actually it was a nice little read with some loveable characters.

The book follows the story of Cameron the popular seventeen year old who is the star of the basketball team and is dating the hottest girl in school. He seems to have everything but one morning he wakes up and realises he is aging and soon learns he is aging a year a day.

I didn't mind Cameron to much before he started aging, he was the typical popular guy around school. But once he starts aging we are shown a completely different side of him as he goes on a journey of self discovery. I really warmed to him and started to feel sorry for him as his life seemed to be coming to an end.
The secondary characters are of course important in any story and I really like Wesley who is Cameron's best friend. Sometimes I thought the worst of Wes but he great in the end!! Cameron's family also play a large part in the story and I love all the different reactions from them, I love his little sister. And now for the other 'main character'... Liesel. I just don't understand why she isn't in the story that much! She actually plays a very important part in Cameron's life and we don't see that much of her until the end of the story.

For a short story Happy Birthday to Me is a nice read that doesn't has you completely hooked but there was enough of something to keep me reading and wanting to know what would happen to Cameron. I love the hospital scene and just wish there had been more of this throughout the book.
I thought the book ended well so I'm intrigued to see what is going to happen in the next two books

My thanks to Brian for providing this copy for review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We are very thankful that you take the time to comment, we love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater