Tuesday 8 March 2011

Darkest Mercy Review


Darkest Mercy
Melissa Marr

Opening Line: Niall walked through the ruins of the tattoo shop.

Closing Line: And the winter Queen and her consort covered their winter garden with a fall of white snow.

Favourite Quote: Send the messengers for the faery courts. This is the end.
~Chela~ 

I hate to do this, I wanted to love this book because I loved the other four and I constantly recommend them to customers but Darkest Mercy left me wanting more!!!

I have loved the Wicked Lovely Series since the very beginning! Darkest Mercy has been a long time coming for me, and like other readers, I had so many questions I wanted answering.
So, as we know, Keenan is missing and the Dark Court is bleeding, Ash is left to attend to the Summer Court by herself and Donia, well what can you say about Donia, Ice Cold but with a taste for Summer.

I'm finding it very hard to write a review because the things I want to say will just spoil the book for those who have not yet read it, so what I will say is this:

It is always nice to see the growth and development of characters and Marr gives us that: Keenan finally thinks of himself and makes more than one life changing decision that could shock some readers but others will not be and see them before they happen. Ash kicks ass and finally accepts her role as the Summer Queen and becomes everything we knew she could and would be. Donia, I have loved her character from the start and would go to War with her any-day of the week! She is and always has been a natural born leader. Seth has always been a voice of reason for me, and even more so now he is a seer and Niall finally finds some form of peace.


I loved many things about Marr's final instalment but then other things left me wanting!!!! Which is not good for the final book in a series. I was thinking War would bring many battles before then end and we would have a writer with the courage that JK Rowling had with the last Harry Potter book. JK wasn't afraid to kill of main/supporting characters and although Marr does make some sacrifices, I didn't see them as big enough. I was constantly turning the page and thinking this is it, something is coming but in the end it just turned out 'nice'.
(I'm not comparing Darkest Mercy to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as I know others have, I'm just saying I wish Marr had the courage to let go a little and give us something more.)


3 of 5 Starts. Why? It pains me to give just 3 stars because I loved the other books so much and all received 4 or 5 stars. Darkest Mercy has been given 3 stars because as I have said I was left wanting more, much more. I honestly think Marr had more to give.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

We are very thankful that you take the time to comment, we love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater